Welcome to Gramma's Kitchen where you'll find lots of yummy recipes, cooking secrets/hints/shortcuts and my opinions on foodie stuff.

MagicKitchen.com

Friday, December 4, 2009

Watching Movies for Money today!!!

Well, the title of today's post is not entirely correct...Today's work assignment is actually getting paid to watch the ads and trailers shown before three different movies. Then on my way home, I have to stop at a doctor's office to measure the waiting room, count the chairs, and audit the health programming on the TV.

So is everyone else getting ready for the holiday by baking cookies? I definitely am!! My daughter, Krystal, the grandkids and I get together each year and we spend a whole day baking and decorating cookies that we give away as gifts. We like to make a wide assortment of cookies (and candies, too). We have been gathering all of the necessary ingredients and supplies, and are organizing our recipes. I bake up dozens of sugar and gingerbread cutouts ahead of time for decorating. We'll probably have our Cookie Day the week of the 14th when Krystal is out of school for Xmas break. In the meantime, I thought I'd share some of my favorite recipes with you. This Macaroon recipe is a very old one -- I found it written on a little piece of paper stuffed in one of my grandmother's cookbooks. With only 4 ingredients they are quick and easy to prepare. It doesn't look like much when they are done, but they have a very interesting texture and everyone raves about them. They are really good when dipped in melted chocolate.

COCONUT MACAROONS

2 egg whites
1/2 teasoon vanilla
2/3 cup of sugar
1-1/3 cups of flaked sweetened coconut

Beat the eggs whites with a pinch of salt and the vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating till stiff. Fold the coconut into the "merange" . Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet (I prefer using a cookie scoop). Bake in a slow oven (325*) for about 20 minutes. Makes about 1 to 1-1/2 dozen depending on size.


No comments:

Stonewall Kitchen, LLC