Welcome to Gramma's Kitchen where you'll find lots of yummy recipes, cooking secrets/hints/shortcuts and my opinions on foodie stuff.

MagicKitchen.com

Sunday, December 6, 2009

CORNY MORNING!!!

Woke up this morning and thought I'd get "corny" with my family for breakfast!!! So here's my recipe for great CORNED BEEF HASH!!! Very simple yet delicious...especially when served with biscuits and made-to-order fried eggs!! YUM! Just ask Trevell and his Grandpa Great (my dad).

GRAMMA'S CORNED BEEF HASH
4 or 5 medium Idaho potatoes
1 medium onion
2 tbsp canola oil
1 - 12 oz can of corned beef
salt and pepper to taste (heavier on the pepper)
Wash the potatoes but leave them in their jackets (don't peel them!). Cut each in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half lengthwise again. Then slice them in the opposite direction (1/8" - 1/4" slices.) Rough dice the onion. This is a rustic, country style hash, so it doesn't have to be perfect or "pretty". Heat the oil in a heavy 12" skillet and add the potatoes first, then the onion. Salt and pepper - then cover for about 5 to 10 minutes on medium high. Meanwhile, open the can of beef, break/chop it up. Turn the potatos/onions with a spatula and add the corned beef. Cover again for another 10-15 minutes on medium heat. If the potatoes are tender, turn everything together with your spatula, making sure to scrape the brown "good stuff" off the bottom from time to time; keep your eye on it so that it cooks and gets "crispies" (that's what my grandson calls it) all throughout, but does not burn. Serve with fresh hot biscuits and "made-to-order" fried eggs on top or on the side. This recipe will feed about 6 people. It's also good with catsup on top.
Okay -- so I'm not a cookbook author...but all I can do is try to tell you how to make it like I do. I hope yours comes out as good as mine.
Peace all...and I'm outta' here.

No comments:

Stonewall Kitchen, LLC