Welcome to Gramma's Kitchen where you'll find lots of yummy recipes, cooking secrets/hints/shortcuts and my opinions on foodie stuff.

MagicKitchen.com

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My New Blog!!!

Hello everyone...of course, that's assuming that someone out there in cyberspace has found my new blog and decided to visit! I'm very excited about Gramma's Restaurant. I'm anxious to share my recipes and other foodie stuff. Most everything I'll post here will be grandkid tested and approved. My grandkids love their vegetables. One of Trevell's favorites is Gramma's Yummy Cabbage. My recipe yields a sweet and savory, extremely tender cabbage side dish that is great alone or served over the top of smashed potatos. Keep in mind that my measurements are approximate. I suggest you adjust one way or the other to your own taste and/or dietary needs.

GRAMMA'S YUMMY CABBAGE
1 Large head of green cabbage, core removed and chopped
1 large carrot, julienned
1 medium diced yellow onion
3-4 slices of bacon
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1 tbsp olive oil (if needed)
2 tbsp granulated sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Cut the bacon up into pieces about 2" long and cook over medium heat until just browned in a heavy dutch oven or extra large pot. Remove from pot and set aside. Add the carrot and onion to the bacon fat (add the olive oil if there was insufficient fat rendered from the bacon) in the pot and saute until soft and beginning to carmelize. Add the minced garlic and the chopped cabbage to the pot. Don't be concerned if the cabbage doesn't seem to all fit in -- it will shrink as it cooks. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and continue to cook over medium heat for approximately 15 - 20 minutes. Periodically, using tongs, toss everything around in the pot. When cabbage is tender and reduced, add the previously cooked bacon and sugar. Toss to evenly distribute. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer another 15 minutes.
ENJOY!!!


No comments:

Stonewall Kitchen, LLC