Welcome to Gramma's Kitchen where you'll find lots of yummy recipes, cooking secrets/hints/shortcuts and my opinions on foodie stuff.

MagicKitchen.com

Monday, December 14, 2009

Sample Day at BelAir Market

Yesterday I went back to work as a food demonstrator for NCIM (If anyone anywhere is interested in doing demo work, leave me a message). I was preparing and sampling a delicious pasta dish using Johnsonville Four Cheese Italian Sausages. It was super simple to prepare. Even the kids that sampled it liked it. All in all it was a very good day, although I must say I was a bit out of the flow when I first got there...it's been over five months since I did a demo and stood on my feet in one spot all day. But I got through it!! I'm glad my demo involved preparing a "real" dish as opposed to just pouring juice into little cups or putting something on a little piece of bread. Whenever I have to prep and cook something, the day goes by much quicker and before I know it, it's time to go home.

I have another demo next Friday, but I'm not as thrilled about it - all I'm doing is putting bleu cheese on crackers. I expect it may end up being a "slow" day... Anyway, the dish I prepared ended up being so popular I thought I'd share it here. Sorry I don't have a picture of the finished dish, but take my word for it - it may look a little plain, but it's packed with flavor.

JOHNSONVILLE SAUSAGE AND PASTA IN GARLIC/BASIL SAUCE
1 pkg Johnsonville Four Cheese Italian Sausages (5 links)
12 oz (dry) Farfalle (bowtie) pasta
1 medium onion (fine dice)
1-1/2 to 2 tbsp minced garlic (do not use garlic salt--too salty)
3 tbsp Olive Oil
3/4 cup frozen petite peas
1-1/2 tbsp cornstarch
16 oz low sodium Chicken Broth
1/4 cup fresh basil (1/8" chop)
Prepare the pasta according to pkg instructions; drain, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and set aside. Score/remove/discard the casing on each sausage; cut each link into 1/2 inch rounds. Cook the sausage in a 12" skillet until brown. Add the onion, garlic and 2 tbsp olive oil. Saute until onion is translucent/tender. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and broth till smooth. Add to the meat/onion/garlic mixture. Stir well and frequently until boiling and sauce thickens. Add the frozen peas and reduce heat to simmer for 5 min. Add the drained pasta and toss to coat with sauce. Add the fresh basil and toss once more before serving. It should be noted here that this dish requires no other seasonings such as salt or pepper. All the seasoning needed is already in the sausages. Serves 6 to 8.

NOTE: Although you could probably substitue any Italian style sausage, the Johnsonville Four Cheese Italian sausages have mozarella, romano, parmesean and cheddar cheese right in them and it melts out somewhat as you cook them. This adds richness to the garlic/basil sauce. I don't think the dish would be nearly as good with a substitution.

Peace...and I'm outta' here.

No comments:

Stonewall Kitchen, LLC