Welcome to Gramma's Kitchen where you'll find lots of yummy recipes, cooking secrets/hints/shortcuts and my opinions on foodie stuff.

MagicKitchen.com

Monday, January 25, 2010

Boxed Dinner Kit SURPRISE!!

As a general rule, I do not like nor use boxed dinner kits, i.e. Hamburger/chicken Helper. Overall, I think they all pretty much taste the same. When I do use one (generally to prepare a very quick skillet meal for my grandkids or at their specific request), I share the Semi-Homemade philosphy of Sandra Lee where the kit is simply the base of the dish, with many additions to make it palatable like fresh diced onions, celery, carrots, garlic and other spices. I NEVER make one just as it is --yuck!!

However, of late I've noticed some different boxed dinner kits at the local grocery store --Wanchai Ferry and Romano's Macaroni Grill. I thought "Why not give them a try?" I purchased one of each a few months ago, but just haven't been motivated to use them...until last night. I had two healthy boneless, skinless chicken breasts thawed out in the fridge and wanted to do something different with them.


I didn't want to have to pull out a cookbook or do a search on the internet to find a new/different recipe. I just wanted something different but quick and easy. Searching through the pantry I pulled out the Romano's Macaroni Grill Chicken Piccata dinner kit and figured I'd give it a try. Since this was the first time using one of these I wanted to prepare it exactly as instructed on the box -- no special additions or personal touches. Well, let me tell you I was very pleasantly surprised with the results. Following the directions on the box - to the "T" --the resulting dish was VERY GOOD. Where most " -- Helper" dinners tend to taste pretty much the same with little variation and are basically designed to appeal to childish and unsophisticated palates, the Macaroni Grill Chicken Picata kit contains a cooking wine and sauce mix that resulted in an unexpectedly GROWN UP taste. I do not believe this was created with kids in mind, although my grandkids did love it (of course, they have a fairly well-developed palate - after all they are MY grandkids). The directions were well written and easy to follow. From start to plating - about 20 minutes! As prepared it is relatively low in calories - about 280 per 1 cup serving - and fat - 1g. Other nutritional data: 24g total Carbs, 510mg sodium, 4g Protein and 1g Dietary Fiber with 0g Cholesterol. And like I said - it was very good...lots of flavor...a wonderfully easy and tasty change of pace.

So I guess what I'm saying is this: If you want to try something EASY, DIFFERENT, WHOLESOME, SATISFYING AND TASTY, I highly recommend you try the Romano's Macaroni Grill CHICKEN PACATA boxed dinner kit. Do be aware that I don't think most kids will like it because of the wine flavor...but if your kids like more "grownup flavors" they just might like this too.

SPECIAL NOTE: I like my sauces just a tad bit thicker, so when I make this again, I believe I will be adding about 1/4 to 1/3 cup more water and a teaspoon of corn starch to thicken.

Peace all...and I'm outta' here.




2 comments:

April Westerhold said...

Hi, I saw your site on "Recipes from Dawn's Daily Life" and thought I would check your site out. I have some coupons for these Macaroni Grill dinners but was afraid to try them. I have a food blog, too, where I make dinners for my 3 kids and then just post them. I'm always looking for great recipes so I'm following you now. Check my site out if you get a chance. www.mealsforreal.blogspot.com thanks!april

Kathy said...

Wow! That sounds delish! Can't wait to find it!!! Hope it hits our stores soon! Great blog, I'll for sure be back!!!

Stonewall Kitchen, LLC